Multiple media outlets reported that one person was killed while four others were hurt in a shooting on New Orleans’ Bacchus parade route. It happened as people were celebrating Mardi Gras Sunday night.
“Everyone ran. Everyone took cover. My whole family ducked. I kind of just hovered over my family, like the small children,” witness Andrew Crawford told 4WWL.
Another witness stated to the outlet that “this was a family event.” “There is no reason why anyone should have a gun.”
Another witness stated that at least 12 shots had been fired and that people were “falling over themselves to escape.”
The victims included a girl, a woman, and three males, all of whom were taken to local hospitals. One male victim later died, the outlet also reported.
Fox 8 reported Monday morning, that all remaining victims are in stable condition.
At the intersection with St. Charles Avenue and Terpsichore, the incident occurred in front of Hoshun Restaurant.
Jonah Gilmore shared the footage via Twitter.
First responders moved a female that was sitting on the ground into a chair.
— Jonah Gilmore (@JonahMGilmore) February 20, 2023
“We made a single apprehension and there were two guns on the scene.” Chief Hans Ganthier of the New Orleans Police Department stated during an on-scene press conference.
There were five victims. Ganthier stated that one victim was a juvenile.
This is not what we wanted. We wanted a safe Mardi Gras. We will continue our efforts towards that goal.
Ganthier said that NOPD officers, the Orleans Parish Sheriff’s Office, and the Department of Corrections were all available to assist.
New Orleans police said that they could not be certain that the shooter that they arrested was the only suspect as of Sunday night. Witnesses can call the police at 504-658-6060 or anonymously at Crimestoppers (1-877-903-867).
Bacchus is among the biggest parades during carnival weekend. The Krewe of Bacchus, named for the Greek god of wine, was founded in 1968. The group has 1,600 riders and 32 floats.
This is WDSU News’ coverage.