Teenager in New Mexico Struggles After Leaving Sports Team, Commits Triple Homicide

NBC News reported that Beau Wilson (18), who New Mexico authorities claim shot and killed at random three elderly women, struggled with his emotions after being forced to leave the wrestling team at his school.

The New Mexico teen was killed by responding officers’ gunfire Monday after gunning down Shirley Voita, 79, Melody Ivie, 73, and Gwendolyn Schofield, 97, who were all in cars. Officials have yet to release a motive for the shooting.

Lorry Rodriguez, Wilson’s mom, spoke to NBC News recently and said that her son found a sense of purpose in his high school’s varsity wrestlers as he struggled with his parent’s divorce and fell behind in his classes.

“His practice was his life, and when he did not have it, he had no money,” Rodriguez said to the outlet. “He had nothing to work towards.” He knew nothing else.

Daxton Allison, a former teammate of Wilson, told NBC News that Wilson’s departure from the team was due to a strained relationship with his head wrestler coach Brent Stover. Stover resigned recently from his position, according to the outlet.

Wilson graduated from Farmington High School on Tuesday evening.

Rodriguez says she is responsible for the violence because she did not anticipate it. She said that her son bought a gun. She said that she was not concerned about the purchase.

How did I miss it? Rodriguez told NBC News that he asked himself this question.

New Mexico officials released Thursday body camera videos of responding officers. One of the officers who was shot in the incident can be seen on the ground. The officer was given medical assistance by other officers.

Police also released a photo of the note that was found on Wilson’s body. They revealed Wilson had accumulated a cache of weapons and ammunition in the house he shared with his father. The law enforcement officers found 1,400 ammo rounds, as well as ten firearms in different calibers throughout the house.

The police noted that the weapons were not Wilson’s, despite being within Wilson’s reach.

The police also confirmed that Wilson was wearing a bulletproof jacket when he opened fire at his home. However, he had “deliberately taken it off” before he encountered officers while walking down the road toward a nearby church.

Wilson, according to witnesses and police, walked around the Farmington area where he lived before he began firing randomly until the police arrived.

Baric Crum, Farmington’s Deputy police chief, said that investigators did not believe Wilson knew any victims. Local hospitals have released the police officers who were shot in the incident.